Tuesday

The State of the Galleries as I See Them

September. This is the time of year when all of the city's galleries open up with their best shows. It's kind of a big deal, right? So, last week I went over to Chelsea to have a look around, see if I could find anything to inspire me.  I hadn't gone gallery hopping for a few years, so I was excited.

Well, let me tell you, was I ever disappointed! It was sad in a way, because I was expecting so much better. I'm no art critic, but I have taste. I'll just say this. It seems like the art that is being done now has absolutely no purpose, it's not beautiful, it's not meaningful, it's not even shocking. Everything is done in the most obvious and uninteresting way possible. 

One example: A show entitled "Shit" was made up of large, glossy photographs of piles of shit. I swear the gallery even smelled like shit. I don't get it.

1 comment:

Krystyna81 said...

LOL Jenna! I think you have summed up what is a large problem in the art world! That title could probably be used for many art shows out there...

you might also like

Related Posts with Thumbnails