Thursday

My Fascination With Architecture

Everything I've been looking at and painting lately seems to have something to do with architecture. The idea that the structures we occupy have a great influence on us, on our personalities and actions, is very intriguing. The influence of our surroundings and the way in which our identities seem to shift along with a change in our location is easy to see. I imagine that every interior space has a holding of various memories that were formed there.

This is absolutely true for me, as all of my strongest recollections are intrinsically linked to a very specific location. With the paintings that I've done recently, I've created vague interiors, purposefully leaving some visual information out so as to encourage more work on the part of the viewer. The viewer is prompted to search their own memory database to fill in the holes in the piece, creating some sense of either nostalgia, longing, happiness, or sadness from this new composite recollection. It's fun to see what dormant memories are awakened from different paintings.

No comments:

you might also like

Related Posts with Thumbnails